离线aguo_3

发帖
财富
威望
交易币
只看楼主 倒序阅读 使用道具 0楼 发表于: 2012-10-28 | 石油求职招聘就上: 阿果石油英才网
Dear xxx:
亲爱的xxx:
  I would like to inform you of the situation relevant to Chinese graduate students here, at least at our department, which makes it very difficult for us to accept graduate students from China in the future.

我想就关于中国留学生的相关情况对你做如下说明:我们将来—起码在我们系,几乎不可能再招收来自中国的研究生。
  Over about one year period, we have had 6 Chinese Ph.D. students quit theirRAship and Ph.D. studies. The reason for them to leave was not that theycould not continue, it was rather because they want to have a job now (a higher salary, with a hope that the companies will apply for their green card status. They came with thier promises to pursue their Ph.D. degrees, we paid tuition for them to take courses for their Master degree, and we taught and helped them in their research capabilities. Once they got their M.S. degree in Mechanical Engeering, because of the excellent job market in the U.S. at this time, it is relatively easy for them to find a job. In a way we felt that we were used as a step for those Chinese students to come here, and get their master's degree, then get their jobs. We pay approximately $45-50 K/year for each Ph.D. student, including the tuition, health insurance, various fees, lab and computer fees, and monthly salary, we also put a lot of time and efforts for them. They (most of them) also did good research work as assistants. However, we don't get credit because we don't produce PH.D's, which is one of our major purposes as an institution of high education. On the other hand, they have their particular interests which are also understandable, for example, financial pressure, and wishes to have their green card applications on the way asap.
    在过去的约一年的时间里,我们(系)共有六名来自中国博士研究生放弃了他们的助研助学金和博士学业。他们放弃学业的原因并非因为他们无法继完成学业,而是因为他们希望找到工作(有更高的工资,同时希望公司能够替他们申请美国绿卡。译者注:博士研究生一般都有薪水拿。)他们来的时候,曾承诺会完成他们的博士学位学习,我们为他们支付了攻读硕士学位的学费(译者注:可能是那种硕士、博士连读的学位),并手把手教会了他们如何做研究。由于当下美国火爆的求职市场,当他们完成了机械工程的硕士学位后,对他们来说找工作相对比较轻松。我们感到这些中国学生将我们当作了垫脚石—获得硕士学位后,即找到了心仪的工作。我们每年为每一位攻读博士学位的学生大约支付4.5万至5万美金,这其中包括了学费、保险费、杂费、实验室及电脑费、以及每月的薪酬;同时,我们还在他们身上下足了时间和精力。他们(大部分)作为助手,确实做出了非常杰出的研究工作。然后,我们并没有为此得到什么,因为我们并未产出博士—而这正是我们这所从事高等教育的机构之最重要的目标之一。当然,我们也能够理解这些学生有自身利益的考量,比如说经济上的压力、尽快得获得美国绿卡。
  This situation also happened to my Chinese Ph.D.student. He is very talented and did a good job in research. However, after he got his M.S. in M.E., he resigned very recently. We still let him stay here presently (with salary) for one more month, otherwise he will have to repay his tuition, which is over $10K. Although we are very considerate for those students, the consequences are obvious:
    这一现象也在我自己带的中国博士研究生身上。他非常有天赋,并且非常出色得完成研究工作。然后,当他获得了机械工程的硕士学位后,便很快辞职了。即便如此,我们目前依然允许他继续带薪工作一个月,不然的话他将因此支付超过1万美金的学费。尽管我们非常体谅这些学生的行为,但是由此带来的后果同样非常明显:
  (1) It greatly degraded the reputation of Chinese graduate students who apply for admission. Some professors address those as "very unethical", "you really cannot trust them when they promise you to pursue their Ph.D. degrees; under your supervision", " you feel you are so stupid as cheated by your own student". It really created some resentment. Actually, I know, as of this time, there are a couple of more students looking for a job or already got a job offer, but not telling their advisors. They will quit at the last minute before they leave. This situation will certainly get backfired, and the damage will mostly be transferred onto the future applicants from China.
(1)这一行为大大地贬低了中国留学生团体的整体声誉。一些教授认为他们“非常不道德”,“当他们答应你会来完成博士学位的时候,你实在是没办法再去相信他们”,“当你被自己的学生耍了,你感觉自己像**一样”。诚然,这引发了教授们的不满。其实,我知道有一些我们系的学生(应该是指即将完成硕士学位的学生)正在或已经找到了工作,只是还没有告诉他们的导师罢了。(最可恶的是),他们要到走之前的最后一秒钟才来通知你。这种做法真的会适得其反,同时由此带来的破坏会波及将来的中国申请者。
  (2) Some professors or research scientists have already made their decisions not to consider Chinese student applications. Although it should not and cannot be a policy, it is the individual's decision in selecting future. Ph.D. students with preference, and in my opinion, with good reasons. It will make it much more difficult for us to bring in Ph.D. students from China. For example, as you know, I was looking for one or two Ph.D. students later this year, and I have a vacancy for a Ph.D. student now. But I will not consider Chinese applicants. At the same time I feel truely sorry, for I know, especially many graduate students from Tsinghua University of very high qualifications sent email applications to me (and to other professors), including yourself. Now I have to inform you that please try your applications elsewhere, or other professors.
(2)一些教授已经决定将来不再考虑中国的申请者。尽管这不应该、也不可能成为一项既定的政策,但是每一位教授都在博士招生时有自由裁量权;我个人认为,他们完全有理由这么做(译者注:看来是被伤透心了。)对我们来说,带中国留学生将变得越来越困难。比如说,如你所知我今年后半年要招两名博士研究生,目前我也有一个空缺,但我绝对不会考虑中国的申请者。实在很抱歉。就我所知,许多来自清华大学的优秀申请者(包括你)给我和其他教授都发了申请邮件。我不得不通知你,请到别的地方或别的教授那里去申请吧。
  In our department, many Chinese graduate students know me and we have a very friendly relationships. The faculty members know that too. One told me: "You try to help them, then they screw you up!" I spent time to write this email message, for your information and considerations, as to how this situation may be somehow alleviated. You may discuss this with your close friends and classmates, I am not sure you should broadly propagate this message. But I did present a fact and an opinion.
    在我们系里很多中国留学生都认识我,我们建立了很好的关系,系里的其他员工亦知道这一点。有人告诉我:你本想帮助他们,他们却反过来倒打一耙。我很用心得花时间写了这封邮件,希望对你有所帮助,也希望你能了解这样的情况(即不再考虑中国申请者)如何能够得到缓解。你可以和你的朋友和同学讨论这个情况,尽管我不清楚你是否或多大程度上会将这个信息带到。以上便是我想对你陈述的事实以及我的态度。”
评价一下你浏览此帖子的感受

精彩

感动

搞笑

开心

愤怒

无聊

灌水
离线wolf
发帖
财富
威望
交易币
只看该作者 1楼 发表于: 2012-10-29 | 石油求职招聘就上: 阿果石油英才网
诚信。。。
离线katez
发帖
财富
威望
交易币
只看该作者 2楼 发表于: 2012-10-29 | 石油求职招聘就上: 阿果石油英才网
不是诚信问题,是收入差距问题造成的。
离线seasound
发帖
财富
威望
交易币
只看该作者 3楼 发表于: 2012-10-29 | 石油求职招聘就上: 阿果石油英才网
复杂,但中国现在确实很普遍缺乏责任心,这个现象不是很好
山登绝顶我为峰
离线010lwg
发帖
财富
威望
交易币
只看该作者 4楼 发表于: 2012-10-29 | 石油求职招聘就上: 阿果石油英才网
gxfgggsggsgsgg
学以致用,广交朋友
离线yzchaoupc
发帖
财富
威望
交易币
只看该作者 5楼 发表于: 2012-10-29 | 石油求职招聘就上: 阿果石油英才网
恩,当诚信遇到前途。。。。
离线恩泽油露
发帖
财富
威望
交易币
只看该作者 6楼 发表于: 2012-10-29 | 石油求职招聘就上: 阿果石油英才网
信若是真的,确实很触动。
离线chentw
发帖
财富
威望
交易币
只看该作者 7楼 发表于: 2012-10-29 | 石油求职招聘就上: 阿果石油英才网
诚信危机。
离线ynwynw
发帖
财富
威望
交易币
只看该作者 8楼 发表于: 2012-10-29 | 石油求职招聘就上: 阿果石油英才网
中国现在比较普高的现象,重眼前,缺诚信
离线aguo_2
发帖
财富
威望
交易币
只看该作者 9楼 发表于: 2012-10-30 | 石油求职招聘就上: 阿果石油英才网
中国学生将我们当作了垫脚石
离线yanshiquan
发帖
财富
威望
交易币
只看该作者 10楼 发表于: 2012-10-30 | 石油求职招聘就上: 阿果石油英才网
中国式的实用主义

网站事务咨询:QQ:1392013 | 26189883
阿果石油网为免费个人网站,为石油人提供免费的在线即时技术交流场所,拒绝任何人以任何形式在本论坛发表与中华人民共和国法律相抵触的言论和行为!
如有言论或会员共享的资料涉及到您的权益,请立即通知网站管理员,本站将在第一时间给予配合处理,谢谢!