英语学习点滴帖 [复制链接]

上一主题 下一主题
离线petrohunting
发帖
财富
威望
交易币
只看该作者 1020楼 发表于: 2020-07-08 | 石油求职招聘就上: 阿果石油英才网
One million foreign students risk being frozen out of US colleges. Some might never come back

(CNN) - In two months, 19-year-old Tianyu Fang is due to start his first semester at one of the most prestigious schools in America: Stanford University in California. Now, the Chinese national isn't sure if he'll make it.

Fang is one of the million or so international students who could be made to leave the United States if their universities switch to online-only learning, under a rule announced by Washington on Monday. Those who don't leave voluntarily face deportation.

Some universities have announced they will deliver all courses online due to the coronavirus pandemic, which has infected more than 2.9 million people and killed more than 130,000 in the US alone. Other universities are still planning to run classes on campus, but with the US outbreak still not under control, there's a risk that those institutions could go remote, too.

More than half of international students in the US come from Asia. In the 2018-2019 academic year, 370,000 students were from China, 202,000 from India, and 52,000 from South Korea.

For Fang, who has studied in the US since middle school but returned to Beijing earlier this year, Monday's announcement exacerbates an already complicated situation. To get around the US ban on travelers who have been in China in the past two weeks, he planned to fly from China to Cambodia. After 14 days, he would hopefully fly to the US.

Now, things are even harder. Currently, Stanford plans to stagger which students are on campus each semester to maintain social distancing. First year students will be on campus in the fall and summer terms -- meaning Fang will be studying remotely in one semester and will have to leave the US for that period.
Even that will be challenging. There are few flights between the US and China, where international arrivals have to quarantine for two weeks.
Now, Fang is weighing up whether he wants to pay about $60,000 a year to study remotely from China. If he does, he won't have all the unplanned interactions and conversations that usually come with a school experience.

Living with uncertainty
For now, 29-year-old Chinese national Chen Na isn't affected by Monday's changes.
At New York University (NYU), where Chen is halfway through a two-year master's degree, her courses will be a combination of online and offline when fall semester starts.
But there's a chance that NYU could go back to online-only classes, as it did in March.
"I can't stop thinking about it," she said. "I just feel kind of powerless and vulnerable. I will try my best to stay here legally."
If courses go online-only, transferring to another university won't be an option -- few other schools offer the Interactive Telecommunications Program Chen is studying.
Instead, she would have to try to go back to China, which would be expensive.
When Chen first heard the rule change, she felt desensitized as there have been a number of other policies that make things more difficult for international students.
In May, for instance, New York Times and Reuters reported that the US was planning to cancel the visas of thousands of Chinese graduate students and researchers with ties to universities affiliated with the People's Liberation Army. In April, Republican Senator Tom Cotton suggested Chinese students at US universities shouldn't be allowed to study science and technology. The Trump administration has also made a litany of changes to the US immigration system, citing the coronavirus pandemic, which have resulted in barring swaths of immigrants from coming to the country.
"We don't have much power here, and then sometimes we become the sacrifice for all these political games," Chen said. "I'm really aware of my foreign status here, I know I'm a foreigner. I don't necessarily see an increasing hostility from other people, but I do feel like policy-wise, it's crushing us."
The difficulty in getting home
It may be harder for some students to get home than others.
Theresa Cardinal Brown, director of immigration and cross-border policy at the Bipartisan Policy Center, says some student might not be able to home might at all.
"The bigger issue is some of these countries have travel restrictions on and they can't go home, so what do they do then?" she added. "It's a conundrum for a lot of students."
India, the US' second-biggest source of international students, has closed its borders to commercial flights, although it is still running repatriation flights.
Maitri Parsana, who has just finished her third year of biological sciences at the University of Buffalo in New York state, doesn't know how she would get back to India if she was forced to leave.
Her university has said it will offer hybrid courses, but the 22-year-old fromo Gujarat state, still doesn't know whether her specific classes will be online or offline.
Parsana says there are no flights to India, but she hopes her government would arrange flights to get stranded students back home.
"I am definitely scared, I really don't know what to do. I was already stressed about my school and now i have to stress about one more thing," she said, adding that the US appears to be focusing on international students rather than addressing real problems, such as the pandemic.
"We just feel like we're being pushed away from this country for no reason."

Business impacts
It's not just students who may be hurt by Monday's decision. It could impact the US economy, too.
In 2018, students from China, India and South Korea alone contributed more than $25 billion to the economy, according to non-profit Institute of International Education.
If students are forced to leave the country, they may not be willing to continue paying tuition fees to study remotely from a different time zone.
Nicholas Henderson, the co-founder and director of Essai Education, a Delhi based test-prep and counseling institute for Indian students wanting to study in the US, said that the regulations may prompt colleges to change their policies to hybrid models, for instance, to help people stay.
"I think what Covid has shown is that universities are willing to work with the students," he said.
But even so, there's the risk that the US' policies may discourage future students from choosing to study in the US.
When Parsana first came to the US, she planned to try to settle there. Now, she says she doesn't want to live in the US, and would encourage students looking to study abroad to consider another country, like Australia or Canada.
"I don't know what (the US government is) trying to do because their economy is going to go to ashes if they do this," Parsana said. "If they keep on doing these kinds of rules, not a lot of people are going to come here for their education."

Career impacts
If international students are sent home early, it's not just their education that will be impacted. Students could end up missing out on job opportunities -- often one of the reasons they might have chosen to study in the US in the first place.
In the US, international students qualify for a scheme that allows them to work in the country after they graduate.
A 24-year-old South Korean university student says he feels "disappointed" that, due to Monday's policy change, he may miss out on that scheme. CNN agreed not to use his real name because of his concerns for privacy.
He only has one semester of his degree to go, and when he signed up for his courses, they were all offline. Now, they have changed to online courses, and it seems like he will either have to go home or transfer to another university for his final semester.
"I have no idea what's going on," he said. "I just renewed my house contract."
If he goes home, he won't qualify for the temporary employment scheme -- and if he wants to work in the US, he'll likely need to find a company to sponsor his visa.
"I'm so frustrated," he said. "I just want to get some opportunities at least to compete."
Chen is faced with a similar situation. Before the pandemic, she planned to stay in the US and find a job after graduating in 2021. But now, Chen is weighing up whether the US is the best place to be, after all.
"I wonder if it's really worth it to go through all of this ... instead of finding a country that values me more," she said.
CNN's Esha Mitra contributed to this story from New Delhi.

1条评分财富+13
笑韵 财富 +13 这是出国了? 2020-07-10
石油英语翻译与培训。
QQ 287871569
离线petrohunting
发帖
财富
威望
交易币
只看该作者 1021楼 发表于: 2020-08-06 | 石油求职招聘就上: 阿果石油英才网
Facebook removes Trump post, citing false COVID-19 info

Facebook has taken down a post from President Trump’s official page, saying it contained “false claims” related to the novel coronavirus.

The post included a video of Trump's interview on "Fox & Friends" early Wednesday morning in which he pushed for schools to resume in-person classes amid the pandemic, stating that young people are "almost immune" to the disease.

In a statement first reported by NBC News, a Facebook spokesperson said, “This video includes false claims that a group of people is immune from Covid-19 which is a violation of our policies around harmful Covid misinformation.”

Facebook has previously removed Trump campaign advertisements, though Wednesday's action is the first time the company has removed a post from the president's page concerning COVID-19.

The Hill has reached out to Facebook and the White House for comment.

During his telephone interview on Fox News, Trump said, “If you look at children, children are almost — I would almost say definitely — but almost immune from this disease. So few — they’ve gotten stronger.”

“Hard to believe. I don’t know how you feel about it, but they have much stronger immune systems than we do, somehow, for this. And they don’t have a problem. They just don’t have a problem,” he added.

At one point, Trump also said he wouldn’t say “totally immune” because he felt the media would cover his remarks critically, before again adding without evidence, “But the fact is, they are virtually immune from this problem, and we have to open our schools.”

While the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) states on its website that children “do not appear to be at higher risk for COVID-19 than adults,” children can contract the disease.

The CDC has advised parents and guardians to limit in-person playtime among children and to “connect virtually” when possible to curb the spread of the disease.

The agency also said in a report released days ago that children could play an “important role” in spreading the disease, which has killed more than 157,000 people in the U.S., according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

State health officials across the country and lawmakers from both parties are still weighing when children should resume in-person classes.

Facebook has taken some action regarding posts from the Trump campaign in the past but has been pushed to take a more aggressive stance on posts from the president himself.

This past June, the company said it removed ads from Trump's campaign that targeted antifa and featured a symbol that Nazis used to “identify political prisoners without the context that condemns or discusses the symbol.”

It also took down a campaign ad last year promoting The Women for Trump Coalition because it said it violated company policy by targeting "personal attributes."
石油英语翻译与培训。
QQ 287871569
离线petrohunting
发帖
财富
威望
交易币
只看该作者 1022楼 发表于: 2020-08-19 | 石油求职招聘就上: 阿果石油英才网
Accelerationism

加速主义

In political and social theory, accelerationism is the idea that capitalism, or particular processes that historically characterised capitalism, should be accelerated instead of overcome in order to generate radical social change. "Accelerationism" may also refer more broadly, and usually pejoratively, to support for the intensification of capitalism in the belief that this will hasten its self-destructive tendencies and ultimately lead to its collapse.
石油英语翻译与培训。
QQ 287871569
离线petrohunting
发帖
财富
威望
交易币
只看该作者 1023楼 发表于: 2020-08-25 | 石油求职招聘就上: 阿果石油英才网
早恋
puppy love, calf love, kitten love, crush

The old saying may be true: "If you marry on the strength of puppy love, you'll end up leading a dog's life.
石油英语翻译与培训。
QQ 287871569
离线petrohunting
发帖
财富
威望
交易币
只看该作者 1024楼 发表于: 2020-08-31 | 石油求职招聘就上: 阿果石油英才网
disruptive technology    破坏性技术或颠覆性技术

——————————————————————————————————————

延伸阅读

马斯克的脑机对接:演示芯片植入猪脑新技术

有人把伊隆·马斯克(Elon Musk)形容为科技怪侠。他展示的脑机对接小猪又受到全球科技界关注。

马斯克不但是著名企业特斯拉汽车公司(Tesla)和航天公司SpaceX的首席执行官,他在几年前还创建了另一家公司Neuralink。

Neuralink是一家研发脑机对接技术的公司,去年已经提出申请希望开始人体试验。周五(28日),马斯克通过在线直播,展示了大脑被植入脑机接口设备的一只小猪Gertrude。

Gertrude脑部活动信号可以被实时读取。这意味着人类或许向利用这类植入设备治疗记忆力衰退、颈脊髓损伤等疾病又迈进一步。

脑机连接的技术,未来有可能让那些患有神经疾病的人用思维来控制手机或电脑。

但这还只是第一步,马斯克长远的目标是迎接“超人认知”(superhuman cognition)时代的到来。

马斯克之前曾多次表示过对人工智能(AI)的担忧。

因此,他认为人类需要与人工智能结合为一体以避免未来AI变得过于强大、摧毁人类这一最遭情况的出现。

Neuralink成立于2017年,自公司创立以来马斯克一直在努力招聘科技人才加盟。

该公司所研究的脑机对接装置包括一个微型探头,探头上有3000多个电极。电极连接着比人发还要细的软线路,用以监视1000个人脑神经元的活动。

一年多前,Neuralink曾对一只猴子进行了脑机对接试验,试验表明猴子可以通过大脑来控制电脑。

该公司还开发了一个“神经外科手术机器人”,据说它可以每分钟将192个电极插入大脑。

脑机接口技术被称作是人脑与外界沟通交流的“信息高速公路”。它为未来恢复感觉和运动功能以及治疗神经疾病提供了希望。

此外,它还能让人类大脑“升级”,同时也会使人类在面临未来AI威胁时更具竞争力。

美国匹兹堡大学物理医学与康复学助理教授科林格(Jennifer Collinger)形容,马斯克试图做的是在医疗技术这一困境领域中开展真正的“颠覆性创新(也称破坏性技术或颠覆性技术,disruptive technology)”。

科林格还表示,Neuralink拥有大量资源,更重要的是它有一个由科学家、工程师以及临床医生组成的团队。他们都在为一个共同目标而努力,所以有较大成功机会。

但即使这样,科林格补充道,研发医学设备仍然需要时间,特别是安全问题头等重要。

因此,科林格认为这一过程可能要比该公司设想的时间还要长。

而另外一位专家,宾夕法尼亚大学的本杰明(Ari Benjamin)对BBC表示,该技术真正的难点可能全完取决于人脑的复杂性。

本杰明表示,关键是如何对脑机对接后所记录下来的信息进行解码。

本杰明认为,或许突然有一天该公司面临的障碍是对人脑如何运作缺乏最基本的了解,无论你记录下来的神经元信息有多少。

而如果不了解负责信息交流的神经代码,就很实现解码目标和其他计划。

石油英语翻译与培训。
QQ 287871569
离线petrohunting
发帖
财富
威望
交易币
只看该作者 1025楼 发表于: 2020-08-31 | 石油求职招聘就上: 阿果石油英才网
mil

千分之一英寸

石油英语翻译与培训。
QQ 287871569
离线petrohunting
发帖
财富
威望
交易币
只看该作者 1026楼 发表于: 2020-09-13 | 石油求职招聘就上: 阿果石油英才网
He that sups with the devil must have a long spoon.
和坏人打交道必须小心受骗。
石油英语翻译与培训。
QQ 287871569
离线petrohunting
发帖
财富
威望
交易币
只看该作者 1027楼 发表于: 2020-09-16 | 石油求职招聘就上: 阿果石油英才网
My dogs are killing me!
我的两只脚痛死了!
石油英语翻译与培训。
QQ 287871569
离线petrohunting
发帖
财富
威望
交易币
只看该作者 1028楼 发表于: 2020-10-06 | 石油求职招聘就上: 阿果石油英才网
out of the woods
脱离险境

Doctor: Trump's "clinical status" supports leaving hospital though he may not be "out of the woods"
石油英语翻译与培训。
QQ 287871569
离线petrohunting
发帖
财富
威望
交易币
只看该作者 1029楼 发表于: 2020-10-14 | 石油求职招聘就上: 阿果石油英才网
mime
用比手划脚来表现,用手势和身体动作来表现,以哑剧来表演

延伸阅读

Two swindlers arrive at the capital city of an emperor who spends lavishly on clothing at the expense of state matters. Posing as weavers, they offer to supply him with magnificent clothes that are invisible to those who are stupid or incompetent. The emperor hires them, and they set up looms and go to work. A succession of officials, and then the emperor himself, visit them to check their progress. Each sees that the looms are empty but pretends otherwise to avoid being thought a fool. Finally, the weavers report that the emperor's suit is finished. They mime dressing him and he sets off in a procession before the whole city. The townsfolk uncomfortably go along with the pretense, not wanting to appear inept or stupid, until a child blurts out that the emperor is wearing nothing at all. The people then realize that everyone has been fooled. Although startled, the emperor continues the procession, walking more proudly than ever.

石油英语翻译与培训。
QQ 287871569

网站事务咨询:QQ:1392013 | 26189883
阿果石油网为免费个人网站,为石油人提供免费的在线即时技术交流场所,拒绝任何人以任何形式在本论坛发表与中华人民共和国法律相抵触的言论和行为!
如有言论或会员共享的资料涉及到您的权益,请立即通知网站管理员,本站将在第一时间给予配合处理,谢谢!